Register as a Stem Cell Donor Today

Register as a Stem Cell Donor Today

be-a-donor-icon-02

CALL US TOLL FREE ON 0800 12 10 82

WE EMAIL YOU A FORM WHEN YOU REGISTER

YOU TAKE YOUR FORM AND GO FOR YOUR TEST

THE SABMR POST YOUR DONOR CARD 6-8 WEEKS LATER

donor-drive-report-backdonor-drive-report-back-overlay

Imagine Being Diagnosed With Leukaemia...

For many this is just unthinkable, but each year numerous South Africans have to face this terrifying reality.

Fortunately, life-threatening blood disorders such as leukaemia, aplasia, immune deficiencies, inborn errors of metabolism, and other new indications such as auto-immune disorders can now be treated.

According to the South African Bone Marrow Registry (SABMR) hundreds of South Africans with blood diseases such as leukaemia reach the point where their only chance of survival is a bone marrow stem cell transplant. The main problem is finding a compatible bone marrow stem cell donor. Family members especially siblings, are generally most suitable, but only 30% of patients will have a compatible sibling. For the other 70%, their only hope is to find a match via the SABMR.

Once you have read one of the above leaflets:

  • You need to call The Sunflower Fund Toll Free Number 0800 12 10 82 (Monday - Thursday 08:30 – 16:30 and Friday 08:30 – 15:00) so that we can make sure that you meet the criteria, process your Sunflower / SABMR Registration Form and Reference Number and direct you to the closest Donor Recruitment Clinic.
  • There you will give them the completed form and they will take two test tubes of blood.
  • Your blood sample is then analysed (called “tissue typing”) and put on the national database. The tissue typing test is very costly for The Sunflower Fund.
  • We pay R2000 for each blood test and depend largely on donations from the public. We do ask donors to consider donating generously towards the cost of the test. This frees up our funds to pay for more donors; the more donors on the Registry the better the chance patients have of finding a match. There are 4 donation options: R350; R750; R1400 or R2000. If you are not able to make a donation, we will sponsor the cost of your test. Your form will be emailed to you. Section 18A Certificates can be requested for all financial donations
  • Donors will in due course be sent a donor card by the SABMR.  Donors will only be called back to donate stem cells if they are ever a perfect match for a patient. The odds of being a match are about 1: 100 000 which is why we need as many donors as possible.
  • The donation procedure is minor with little discomfort – click here to read a full description of the whole procedure.

Click here for - Donor Recruitment Policy for family of patients needing to find a donor match.