What we do
The Sunflower Fund partnered by DKMS fights blood disorders like Leukaemia through the recruitment of blood stem cell donors and maintaining a registry of potential donors committed to helping anyone in need of a life-saving stem cell transplant. We fundraise to cover the cost of education and awareness about the need for and the process to become a blood stem cell donor as well as to cover the cost of the HLA tissue-typing test involved in the recruitment of donors.
The Sunflower Fund partnered by DKMS also maintains a patient support fund to assist patients who are unable to afford costs associated with getting to transplant as well as being actively involved in creating a platform for support structures to assist patients, families and communities.
South Africa and Africa generally has a very low number of registered donors, leading to too few patients finding a match and making it to transplant. Our vision is to save lives of individuals diagnosed with blood disorders by increasing the number of patients making it to transplant
Stem Cell registry for Africa
- Through active global partnerships and alliances, we will build a registry of donors across Africa who are committed to helping anyone in need of a life-saving blood stem cell transplant.
Patient Support Fund
- We offer financial support for the cost associated with finding a donor and getting to transplant.
- Accessibility to treatment through actively engaging technology and research.
- In order to improve outcomes for patients in the African Diaspora who need a stem cell transplant, we jointly aim to recruit 100,000 donors of African ancestry by 2030 as part of the Stem Cell Registry Alliance (SCRA).
- We actively drive education and awareness about blood diseases as well as the need for and the process involved in becoming a blood stem cell donors and raise funds to cover the cost of tissue-typing tests as well as for patient support.