Register as a blood stem cell donor
CALL US TOLL FREE ON 0800 12 10 82
WE EMAIL YOU A FORM WHEN YOU REGISTER
YOU TAKE YOUR FORM AND GO FOR YOUR TEST
THE SUNFLOWER FUND WILL CONTACT YOU WITH CONFIRMATION OF YOUR REGISTRATION.
Blood stem cell donor information:
Imagine being diagnosed with leukaemia...
For many this is just unthinkable, but each year numerous South Africans have to face this terrifying reality.
Fortunately, life-threatening blood disorders such as leukaemia, aplasia, immune deficiencies, inborn errors of metabolism, and other new indications such as auto-immune disorders can now be treated.
According to the South African Bone Marrow Registry (SABMR) hundreds of South Africans with blood diseases such as leukaemia reach the point where their only chance of survival is a blood stem cell transplant. The main problem is finding a compatible blood stem cell donor. Family members especially siblings, are generally most suitable, but only 30% of patients will have a suitable match in the family. For the other 70%, their only hope is to find an unrelated matched donor .
Once you have read one of the above leaflets:
- You need to call The Sunflower Fund Toll Free Number 0800 12 10 82 (Monday - Thursday 08:30 – 16:30 and Friday 08:30 – 14:00) so that we can make sure that you meet the criteria, process your registration form and reference number and direct you to the closest Donor Recruitment Clinic.
- There you will give them the completed form and they will take two test tubes of blood.
- Your blood sample is then analysed (called “tissue typing”) and put on the national database. The tissue typing test is very costly for The Sunflower Fund.
- We pay R3 000 for each blood test and depend largely on donations from the public. We do ask donors to consider donating generously towards the cost of the test. This frees up our funds to pay for more donors; the more donors on the Registry the better the chance patients have of finding a match. Donations of R350 or more are gratefully received. If you are not able to make a donation, we will sponsor the cost of your test. Your form will be emailed to you. Section 18A Certificates can be requested for all financial donations
- Donors will in due course be sent confirmation of their registration by The Sunflower Fund. Donors will only be called back to donate stem cells if they are ever a perfect match for a patient. The odds of being a match are about 1: 100 000 which is why we need as many donors as possible.
- The donation procedure is minor with little discomfort.